Exhibit your work at WPG! Apply for membership and join our cooperative art gallery.
Washington Printmakers Gallery is a dynamic cooperative of accomplished artists that has provided original prints to residents of the DC metro area and its visitors since 1985. WPG members enjoy gallery representation yet maintain the freedom to set prices and select work to display. Our artists often exhibit prints at other national and international venues. As well, members are afforded the opportunity to learn new techniques from their peers by joining this inspiring printmaking community. The Gallery provides a street-side retail location in the Washington DC ‘arts area’ with another half dozen galleries nearby. As such, WPG attracts national and international arts audiences, news media, print collectors, and other purchasers.
Printmaking at WPG is a ‘big tent’ idea. Printmakers who are experimenting at the edges of traditional printmaking are encouraged to consider applying for membership. Photographic printers, 3-D printmakers, art book makers, printmakers experimenting with interactions of printmaking methods with sculpture, painting, and drawing are also welcome to apply. Printmaking has always been – and remains — the core mission at WPG, but printmakers working creatively at the edge of that mission are quite welcome to apply.
Monthly membership fees and members’ tasks make possible this professional, contemporary exhibition space in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C., just south of the Book Hill Park. We are dedicated to the art of printmaking and beyond.
Full and Shared Memberships
There is only one level of membership: a Regular Membership. However, a Regular Membership can be shared between two or more people. Dues for a Regular Membership are $150/month.
Two or more individuals can share a Regular Membership after each is juried into the gallery. The individuals sharing a membership may divide the fees, benefits, and duties of a regular membership as they see fit. Dues for memberships are payable with a single check each month of $150.
Groups of artists can share the benefits of a Regular Membership. This includes two small works hung on the walls each month, works in bins, in flat files and the portfolio, slides on the electronic display, an artist page with images on this gallery website, a solo show (approx. every two years), gallery sales (60% to artist), Washington DC advertising, and voting membership. Dues and gallery responsibilities would be shared by the group.
For example, a group of 15 artists could join with a single Regular Membership. Each artist in the group would have one work in the bins and one in the flat files. They would take turns exhibiting in the monthly member shows, two or three each month on a rotating basis. When it came time for the group to have a solo show, representation would be up to the group. The benefits for such a group would be 1/15 that of a single membership, but the cost would also be 1/15 of a single membership, only $10/month. The Regular Member responsibilities could be similarly shared out between the 15 members of the group.
To apply for membership, click here to contact us. When your membership application is approved by a vote of the existing membership, you will be exhibiting your work on the gallery walls, in the bins and flat files, on the electronic display, and on this website.
Since this is a cooperative art gallery, members perform all the gallery tasks and sitting assignments required to keep the gallery going. Click here to learn more about member tasks and sitting assignments.
It is possible to cover membership dues by sitting extra hours at the gallery. It is also possible to avoid sitting by taking on more than one of the regular tasks required of members.
- Your work on view in the gallery every month on the walls (1 large or 2 small images), plus work in the bins and flat file, and work displayed on the gallery’s 40-inch electronic screen.
- We can accommodate some 3-D works and books on the shelves near the front door. These items are considered part of the member’s bin presence in the gallery.
- Solo exhibition every 2-3 years. Click here to see Solo Show Guidelines.
- An Artist’s Page on this website. Click here for Artist Page Guidelines.
- Full voting privileges in all gallery affairs.
- Opportunities to have hands-on experience in the ongoing workings of the gallery.
- Gallery-supported advertising and monthly press releases.
- Opportunities to attend WPG-sponsored special events, outings, lectures, and other affairs.
- Get news of exhibitions of interest and juried exhibition opportunities.
- Artists receive 60% on sale of their artwork. Artists set the price of their work.
- In addition, as a WPG member, you will engage with the programs of the Washington Print Foundation, which promotes fine-art printmaking by fostering the creation and appreciation of artist-made prints through education, exhibition, and community outreach programs.
Questions? Want to join? Please contact us with your questions or to submit a membership application.