1641 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, Washington, D.C. 20007 • 202 669-1497
Open Thursdays–Saturdays, 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. • Sundays, Noon to 5:00 p.m.
and by appointment: contact us and we will open the gallery during off hours!
Washington Printmakers Art Gallery is in Georgetown near Book Hill
Close by are five other Washington, D.C. art galleries: Addison/Ripley, Susan Calloway, Cross MacKenzie, Artist’s Proof, and Klagsbrun Studios. Two doors down, Patisserie Poupon serves wonderful French pasties and coffee. Many restaurants and shops are nearby as well. Visit us and our neighborhood!
R E L I E F : Prints by Cynthia Back, Feb. 28 thru March 31, 2019
Artist’s Reception, Saturday, March 2, 2:00 to 5:00 p.m.
Cynthia Back’s new exhibit, R E L I E F, continues her exploration of the reduction relief process (also known as a suicide print) inspired by the excitement of travel. In R E L I E F, Back showcases work created after seeing colorful buildings nestled in the Andes, Central America, and along the English Channel. Interspersed with these images are prints reflecting fallen tree trunks encountered in parks and woodlands. Each print has twelve to twenty-five layers of ink, starting with local color and leading to new palettes. READ MORE about Cynthia Back’s solo show…
Second Saturday Workshops
and Special Art Evenings
Saturday, March 9, 2-4pm, “Art + Haiku” for all ages, with Karin Edgett. No fee!
At 2:00 p.m. on most second Saturdays, workshops are offered at Washington Printmakers Galllery on a variety of subjects. Unless otherwise stated below, these workshops are free.
Also on second Saturdays, 4:00 to 6:00 p.m., all six of the Georgetown Galleries host a special evening of art and refreshments. READ MORE about the Georgetown Galleries.
- Saturday, March 9, 2-4pm, “Art + Haiku” for all ages, with Karin Edgett.
- NEW DATE: Sunday, April 14, 2-3pm, “Printing From Nature” for all ages, with Nina Muys.
- NEW DATE: Saturday, May 18, 2-5pm, Gelliplate Monoprint with Pastel Embellishment with Rosemary Cooley.
- Saturday, June 8, 2–4pm, “Presentation As Part of the Artist’s Process” for adults, with Sally Canzoneri and Norman Strike.
- Saturday, July 13, 2-4pm, “Introduction to Adobe Photoshop” for adults, with Danny Schweers.
- Saturday, August 10, 2-3pm, “All About Juried Shows” for adults, with Sally Canzoneri.
- Saturday, December 14, 2–4pm, “Book Arts” with Sally Canzoneri.
Prints by Nina Muys & Julie Niskanen Skolozynski,
April 3-28, 2019.
Artists’ Reception: Saturday, April 6, 2-5pm,
with mezzotint demonstration by Julie Niskanen from 3-4pm.
Workshop: Saturday April 14, 2-3pm,
Printing from Nature with Nina Muys.
April is the perfect month for Natural Connection, an exhibit featuring work of two artists who share a deep sense of wonderment about the natural world, expressing it in different ways. The conversation between Julie Skolozynski’s precisely detailed mezzotints with their limited range of colors and Nina Muys’ brightly colored intaglio and monoprints reminds us not only of the beauty of nature, but of the differing ways we can celebrate it. READ MORE…
More Upcoming Events and Exhibits
The exhibits listed below display on the north wall of the gallery. At the same time, new art works from our members are shown continuously on the other walls, in the bins and flat files, and on the electronic display in the gallery. To learn more about the artists in our gallery, click here to see links to their individual pages on this website.
- April 26 – 28, French Market Days in Georgetown’s Book Hill neighborhood.
- May, 2019 — Rosemary Cooley
- May 18, 2019, 4:00 to 7:00 p.m., Spring Art Walk with the Georgetown Art Galleries.
- June, 2019 — Helga Thomson and Norman Strike
- July, 2019 — Juror’s selection from the 2019 National Small Works competition
- August, 2019 — Solo exhibit by Marco Hernandez, the first-place winner of the 2018 National Small Works competition
- September, 2019 — Amy Guadagnoli
- October, 2019 — Ron Meick
- November, 2019 — Matina Marki Tillman
- December, 2019 — Sally Canzoneri
- April, 2020 — Danny Schweers
Start and end dates of exhibits are generally the first Wed. of the month through the last Sunday of the month. Receptions are usually the first Saturday after the opening.
You Can Support Printmaking
Please remember the Washington Print Foundation when you plan your charitable giving. All donations are tax deductible and very much appreciated.