The Washington Printmakers Art Gallery in Georgetown, D.C.
Reception and Awards Ceremony, Saturday, August 13, 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.
The National Small Works Exhibition features prints of 33 artists from across the United States. A variety of media including relief, intaglio, lithograph, digital print, photograph, solar plate, and silkscreen are included. The jurists, Susan Calloway of Susan Calloway Fine Arts and Christine Neptune of Neptune Fine Art, looked for mastery and variety of media, presentation, and compelling subject matter.
Speedball Art Products, Jerry’s Artarama, Renaissance Graphic Arts, Hampton Editions, and The Washington Print Foundation have contributed prizes to the exhibition. The first prize winner will receive a solo exhibition at Washington Printmakers Gallery in July 2017.
Also This Month: Members Work on Exhibit
Jane and Dave Mann
“Busted: A Photographic Parable”
August 31 to September 24, 2016
Reception: Saturday, September 10 from 1:00 to 4:00 pm
Book Hill Fall Art Walk, September 16, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.
WPG invites you to reflect on modern man’s effect on the earth in Jane and Dave Mann’s show, “Busted”. The husband and wife photographers, who frequently make photo excursions together, take you to the abandoned “boom” town of Rhyolite, Nevada. Rhyolite now stands deserted and derelict – a symbol of human greed, overinflated promises, exhausted natural resources, and dashed hopes. Is its story a parable of the future of our planet or can the ending be rewritten so no further damage is done?
All artists’ proceeds from this exhibit will be donated to 350.org Global Climate Movement.
More Upcoming Exhibits
The exhibits listed below display on the north wall of the gallery. At the same time, new art works from our members are shown continuously on the other walls, in the bins and flat files, and on the electronic display in the gallery. To learn more about the artists in our gallery, click here to see links to their individual pages on this website.
- September 28 – October 29, 2016 — Mike Hagan. Printmaker Mike Hagan loves to incorporate pattern into his hand-pulled prints.
- November 2-26, 2016 — Werner Drewes. In honor of the 80th anniversary of The American Abstract Artists (1936, NYC), WPG will exhibit prints by Werner Drewes, a founding member of AAA with strong ties to Washington DC.
- November 30 – December 24, 2016 — Danny Schweers. Artist’s Reception, Saturday, December 3, 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. One past reviewer said, “Danny Schweers continues to mix wonderment with insight, and grace with humor, in a way that very few excellent photographers are consistently capable of doing.”
- February, 2017 — Excellence in Printmaking (Emerging Artists) – The best students at area schools are invited to exhibit their work.
- March, 2017 — Alex Keto
- April, 2017 — Marian Osher
- May, 2017 — Gabriel Jules and Nina Muys
- June, 2017 — Ron Meick
- July, 2017 — Solo Exhibit by the first place winner of the 2016 National Small Works competition
- August, 2017 — Exhibit of the best entries into the 2017 National Small Works competition
- September, 2017 — Cynthia Back
- October, 2017 — Yolanda Frederickse
- November, 2017 — Dave Mann
- December, 2017 — Lila Oliver Asher
Start and end dates of exhibits are generally the first Wed. of the month through the last Sunday of the month. Receptions are usually the first Saturday after the opening.
You Can Support Printmaking
Please remember the Washington Print Foundation when you plan your charitable giving. All donations are tax deductible and very much appreciated.