Excellence in Printmaking
2014 Call for Entries
Since 2004, The Washington Print Club has joined with the Washington Printmakers Gallery and its nonprofit arm, The Washington Print Foundation, to award an annual Excellence in Printmaking student prize. The aim of this award is to encourage printmaking and the use of traditional, non-digital techniques. This year’s juror is Christopher With, President, The Washington Print Club. In 2014, The Washington Print Club celebrates its 50th anniversary.
Exhibition and Awards
The 2014 “Excellence in Printmaking” exhibition, on view at Washington Printmakers Gallery in February 2014 (see important dates, below), will feature 50 prints, including three prize-winning works, selected by Mr. With:
GRAND PRIZE: A one-year WPG Emerging Printmaker Membership, awarded by the family of Nuong Van-Dinh Tran in memory of her vast contributions to the organization; plus a one-year gift membership in the WPC.
1ST PRIZE: $150 plus a one-year gift membership in the WPC to the winning artist and their University Art Department.
2ND PRIZE: A one-year gift membership in the WPC & a $75 gift certificate to Plaza Art Supplies.
3RD PRIZE: A one-year gift membership in the WPC & a $50 gift certificate to Plaza Art Supplies.
A student applicant should be
- an undergraduate not more than four semesters (40 credits) from graduation OR an MFA degree candidate, a declared major or minor in printmaking, or have taken at least 2 courses in printmaking,
- 18-24 years of age in February 2014, and
- creating prints using traditional, hand-pulled media. Digital and Photographic prints are not eligible
- 12/31/2013, 11:59 pm: Deadline for entry submissions
- 1/11/2014: Notifications of acceptance sent out
- 1/25/2014, 5pm: Deadline for delivery to WPG of all accepted prints and additional documentation.
- 1/29/2014-2/23/2014: “Excellence in Printmaking” exhibition, award ceremony/receptions: TBA.
- 2/23/2014-3/1/2014: Pick up or shipment of all works during gallery hours (see below). Any shipping costs are the responsibility of the artist.
How to Apply
- -Please CAREFULLY read the criteria of eligibility for this exhibition. Submissions that are not qualified will NOT receive a refund.
- -To apply, visit
- and sign up for an account. This part of the process is FREE.
- -Click “Purchase Competitions” under Available Competitions
- -Select “Excellence in Printmaking 2014.”
- -Pay for your images: $15 for the first 3, and $5 for each additional image. This must be done BEFORE uploading your images.
- -Upload your images. Be sure to include the title, date, media, and size of each print.
- -If you wish to change the images you submitted or update your information, you may do so until the end of the entry period (12/31/2013, 11:59 pm) by logging back on the link above.
If you have any questions about the Excellence in Printmaking Exhibition and Award, or want a prospectus with the above information emailed to to you, please call or email:
301.273.3660 | email@example.com